Friday, August 8, 2008

Auspicious Date

I do not normally write more than ONE (1) post per day, as I usually take unusually long to gather the ideas, arrange the bits and pieces of my thoughts, put them into proper sentences with choice words, then proof read and edit and proof read and edit and... In short, I simply cannot afford to spend that much time too often. Today, however, must be made an exception, simply for being August 8, 2008 - 08.08.08. Many consider this day extremely special, from those who had their weddings to probably those who decided to start the 2008 Beijing Olympics, today.

I remember the day that was August 8, 1988. I was still in primay school then. I remember our teacher wrote the date on the blackboard - 8.8.88 - and told us it was real special, because we won't see "8.8.88" again for another hundred years! At that time, we children were all very impressed! I vividly remember my feelings of regrets that such a grand day ended too soon! Thereafter, I noticed that one of my papa's old shirts had this date printed on it - 7.7.77 - July 7, 1977. Ooh, my childish mind thought, there was another a unique grand day just like the one we had!

Last year, we had 05.06.07, and 07.07.07, and then 20.07.2007 - dates made in heaven for mass weddings! So romantic ler!!! Of course, if you'd just think about it, we also had 06.06.06, 05.05.05 and all the way down to 01.01.01, though I cannot, for the universe, imagine why not much were made of those that I could recall! Next year, we'd be getting 09.09.09, the day during which another zillion couples would want to tie the knot!!! And after that - we'd get the binary dates - 01.01.10, 01.11.10, 11.10.11 ...................!!! Wow, wow, wow!!!!!

Are you insanely exhilarated at today's date, and eagerly expecting the other soon-to-come auspicious dates???

(in case you're still wondering - yes, this post is reeking with sarcasm)

2 comments:

S-kee said...

hey i like 8.8.8

may be meaningless (really) but it is fun! and gives us some reason to feel that the day is more special than another! if not every other day is special too!

lemme give u a roomee hug 8 times

>:D<
>:D<
>:D<
>:D<
>:D<
>:D<
>:D<
>:D<

thanks for the really sweet post!

:)
:)
:)
:)
:)
:)
:)
:)

neil said...

and I shall give my roomee 8 roomee hugs right back!

>:D<
>:D<
>:D<
>:D<
>:D<
>:D<
>:D<
>:D<