Friday, July 6, 2007

Lunch Hour Adventure

The restaurant was full, and they don't give numbers to waiting (potential) customers, so one friend stayed there to wait for a table to become available, while another one and I walked over to a bakery at the opposite side. The breads looked really good, and I decided to buy some home - for tomorrow's breakfast or whatever la. I took a tray, heaped some bread on it, then waited in line at the cashier's. My friend didn't buy any bread, so she stood a little behind me, out of the way of the line. I stood with my back facing the front of the line because I was engaged in conversation with her. A short while later, I noticed a kwailo standing next to my friend, tray in hand, seemingly shouting at me. No, I thought, he must be addressing his female companion, who was lingering nearby. And I continued talking with my friend. However, the shouting went on. I looked at him.

"DON'T LET HER PUSH IN FRONT OF YOU!" Pointing to the left side of me with his tray. "DON'T LET HER PUSH IN!"

I turned and saw a Malay lady, holding a tray, in a suspicious position at the side of the line, as if attempting to cut queue.

"OK," I told the kwailo, and took a step closer to the person rightfully in front of me.

"DON'T LET HER PUSH IN FRONT OF YOU!" He went on. "SHE TRIED TO PUSH IN FRONT OF ME... OH WELL, SHE'S ALREADY PUSHED IN FRONT OF ME!"

At this precise moment, the Malay lady turned, smiled at the kwailo, and gestured him to move forward to take his place in the queue directly behind me, then walked to the end of the line. I turned to the kwailo and smiled.

"I guess she heard you."

"OH REALLY?! I DIDN'T THINK I WAS THAT OBVIOUS!"

Not obvious? Well, I had nothing to say, "Haha", so I just laughed "Haha".

No comments: