Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Favourite Pastime

In the darkened room, on the floor, my legs folded upon each other, I close my eyes. I bring my attention and focus onto my breathing. In. Out. In. Out.

"Inhale... 1, 2, 3, pause. Exhale... 3, 2, 1, pause."

The teacher's voice is quiet and steady, and I let it guide my breathing. The soothing music playing in the background is soft and lulling. I focus on the breathing and the teacher's voice.

"Exhale... 3, 2, 1, pause. Inhale... 1, 2, 3, pause. Exhale... 3, 2... *zzzzz* ...2, 3, pause. Exhale... 3, 2, 1, pause. Inhale... *zzzzz* ... to your normal breathing..."

Oh dear. We're done with the breathing exercise. I open my eyes. We get to our feet, and start the Sun Salutation sequence of poses. We do our Warriors and a handful of other upright poses.

"Now, lie down on your mats. Fold your right leg..."

I am on my mat, I follow closely the verbal instructions of my teacher, and move into the pose. I feel tolerably comfortable, though folded and twisted like a pretzel.

"Stay, and take a few long and deep breaths..."

*zzzzz*

"... to your right, push yourselves up with both hands..."

Wait, what about folding the left leg? Gosh, they've done it already?

I sit up with the rest of the classes, and proceed to half a dozen more poses.

"Lie down to your Savasana. Relax your whole body, drop your feet......"

*zzzzz*

"Hey, wake up!"

I hear Big Eye's voice, and feel her nudge my shoulder. I open my eyes, and look around. I see all my classmates sitting upright, in Lotus.

People say Yoga is great for relaxation. I agree whole-heartedly.

No comments: