Saturday, May 21, 2005

Early Morning Amusement

It was 8 am, the beginning of a typical day at work. I was ready to teach, but the ones who were supposed to receive the lesson were not ready to learn. The computer lab was cold and empty, save for 2 students waiting in it, when I went in. The rest slowly arrived, and those late comers didn't stop coming in for the next 10 - 15 minutes. That's OK - my patience is well-trained. Lesson commences.


Talking, not paying attention, asking stupid questions - these are common occurrences while the lesson is ongoing, yet, there was something more that morning. There was a boy who kept asking a question (and what a question for that matter!) without even trying to understand my explanation. An analogy of the situation:


Me: First, a man walked out of the house, then he went in again. (it is shown on the projector screen)


He: I have a question about what you just say. I don't understand what you mean, so I want to ask you, about the hut...


Me: Hut? You mean house.


He: No, no! You don't understand my question. What I mean is what you said just now... do you mean the man go to the hut or...


Me: House. It's house - not hut.


He: You misunderstand me!! I mean if you mean the hut...


Me: House!!! (boiling by now)


He: OK - house. So you mean the man walk out of the house or he walk in?


***


And there was another one, who kept saying "We are so confused!" (actually, "we", I am sure refers to only himself and his friend sitting next to him, because they never stop talking) "Repeat the whole thing!" Repeat the whole thing? Alright, I'll repeat one time. Still confused? Want another repetition of the "whole thing"? Fine - one more time. Still confused??? Well, not surprising, while I was wearing my voice out repeating the lesson, he was busy not listening to me. There is so much a flesh-and-blood human can take.


I stopped, and I reprimanded. No raising my voice - I have better things to use my voice for. I use sarcasm, and lots of it. The lab staff was looking at me, I was aware, but I didn't care. Thank goodness, immediately following the scolding fit, there was very visible improvement in the learning.


And, as if having to deal with inattentive, impertinent and rude students are not enough, I still have one more person to deal with. Yes, the lab staff - a plump (I am so tempted to just make do with FAT), overbearingly lazy and arrogant woman. As I walked to the back of the lab - where she was slouching in her chair, peeling off the wrappers of a sweet - she signalled me to approach her with her hand. "Come here," she said. I stared at her - who does she think she is? "Come here lar, come here," she said a few more times. What does she want? I walked to her place, thinking I didn't want any of those sweets if she intended to offer them. But no, of course not. She wanted to know what the subject I am teaching is about - is it difficult? Since when am I answerable to a computer lab care-taker? And the way she "summoned" me! Talk about lack of manners and etiquette! Quite enough amusement to last me a long time.

Thank goodness, and the love of mother earth, I was comforted when I look at my wonderful miracle - which has grown really tall. The leaves are bigger and greener now.
Don't know when it will flower - soon I hope!. My poor colleague's egg still has no sprouts, after two weeks since she first broke and watered it. I hope it will soon too!

No comments: